Random

Sunday 19 October 2008

Posh choc?



Times must be hard for the humble Dairy Milk bar. Nowadays everyone wants to know the percentage of cocoa solids or where the beans are sourced from, not to mention that it's Fair-trade, and that's before we get on to the exciting flavour combinations out there. So what is Cadbury's answer? Lipstick on a pig is, I believe, the phrase.

Maybe that's a bit unfair. I should confess that since discovering the joys of dark chocolate I find Dairy Milk just so sweet but there's always going to be a time when that kind of hit is just what the doctor ordered. I'm a sucker for limited edition bars, just to try something new, and so my eye was caught by these two new offerings. I ummed and erred over which to choose first and ended up plumping for the cranberry and granola which sounded healthier (!). That was my first mistake. The cranberry was almost undetectable and on second thoughts there's no place for cereal in a chocolate bar. My second mistake was to try the other bar a few weeks later. It was better than the first to be fair, I'm a fan of apricots. And crumble. A chocolate. But together? I don't think so. You can stick what you want in it but Dairy Milk will always be kiddy chocolate really and trying to hoodwink us with healthy sounding extras is a bit like McDonalds selling salads and calling themselves a restaurant.

I'm still looking for Kshocolat's dark chocolate with orange and cardamom. If you work for them and happen to see this I'm open to being sent a sample you know......

4 comments:

Anonymous,  19 October 2008 at 14:11  

Cadbury should stick to offering guilty, childish pleasures rather than trying to join the sophisticated market (after all, they bought Green & Blacks presumably so they wouldn't have to do that).

Case in point: reintroduction of the Wispa bar. Next step: can we have the Wispa Gold back please, that sublimely sweet and sickening combination of aerated chocolate, caramel, and biscuit pieces? Then the Spira. Thank you.

William Rycroft 19 October 2008 at 19:37  

The Spira? Don't remember that one. I remember Wispa Gold though. I think the one with caramel and biscuit was a Wispa Bite. Why are Wispa's SO much better than Aero's?

Anonymous,  20 October 2008 at 16:36  

Ah well I stand corrected then. Spira was the one which was twin tubes of chocolate with a cross-section resembling a six-spoke wheel, through which, rumour had it, you could suck up your tea as though a chocolate straw. To maintain structure, the chocolate had to be satisfyingly crisp and crunchy.

William Rycroft 20 October 2008 at 19:36  

Ah yes, the holy grail, the perfect conduit to suck up one's tea. I did it with a Penguin once. Which is a sentence I never thought I'd write.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP