Tuesday, 25 September 2012

A shifting perspective

No review this week but I thought I could point you towards a little project I have initiated. Two years ago I reviewed an out of print book called The New Perspective by K Arnold Price. The book had been chosen by Colm Toibin for a Guardian article called How did we miss these? in which 50 writers chose 'brilliant but underrated novels that deserve a second chance to shine.'

Price's debut novel was published when she was 84 and she only published one more after that. I thought the New Perspective was fantastic, but with copies so scarce and expensive I decided to lend it to anyone interested in giving it a go. What has begun is what I hope will be a kind of international library/book club with some of the network of bloggers and readers that I have connected with over the last 5 years sharing their thoughts on this short novel. First up was Trevor Berrett of The Mookse and the Gripes over in the US. You can find his review here (positive I am glad to say) and I'll let you know as soon as the next one goes up. All I can reveal is that the book has travelled north a little to Canada.

Max at Pechorin's Journal got a copy of the book himself and reviewed it here. He has also passed his copy on so there may be even more reviews to come...


Sue Guiney 25 September 2012 at 09:26  

I somehow missed this one. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to trawl around and see if I can get my hands on a copy.

William Rycroft 25 September 2012 at 09:32  

There are a few available on Abebooks but most are located in the USA. The only copy nearby is in Ireland and is on sale for an absurd £75. If you'd like to go on the lending list then please let me know Sue!

Annabel (gaskella) 25 September 2012 at 11:34  

What a nice idea! I shall indeed peruse the Guardian list, and would happily go on the lending list as the book sounds intriguing.

Sue Guiney 25 September 2012 at 12:07  

I'm about to post a blog all about it, citing your blog and your project, and offering my copy to whoever wants it. I hope that's okay. You can put me on your list, but I'll ship it out to one of my readers. And your excellent blog will get a bit of a plug, too.

William Rycroft 25 September 2012 at 12:46  

Thanks Sue. Welcome aboard. Blimey, I hope you like the book now!

Sue Guiney 6 November 2012 at 10:33  

Thought you might like to know that i sent my copy to a writer/blogger friend in Botswana who has posted her review of it today. She's at http://thoughtsfrombotswana.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-new-perspective-by-k-arnold-price.html

I do love the fact that finally getting a broader readership and traveling around the world.

William Rycroft 9 November 2012 at 15:41  

That's fantastic Sue, this book is becoming better travelled than I am! Off to read that post now....

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP